Skip to main content

What Does God Really Know?

Have you ever questioned whether God really knows what's going on down here on earth? You ever looked back at 911 and asked, “God, did you know that was going to happen?” Maybe we look back in history and ask why He allowed the Inquisitions to occur. Or why He allowed Nazi Germany to come to power. So for this blog entry I want to look at the attribute of omniscience. We all probably know that it means all knowing, but I'm also sure that sometimes we probably question whether He really is.

In beginning this blog I'd like to give a little credit where do, to a good friend of mine, Bob Wells, who wrote what amounts to a children's theology book. It is awesome! Its really nothing more than a collection of definitions and stories to teach the attributes of God. It was a fantastic idea, quite unique. What is most surprising to me though is that no publisher would touch it. “It's too hard for little kids to understand,” they said. Yet, independently of Bob, this is exactly what I did in a 4th and 5th grade Sunday school class I taught years ago. If you've ever taught a children's Sunday school class you know the cutesy “Standard's Publications” booklets they give you every single year. They pretty much have the same stories every single grade year, they just add a little something new to it. So by the time these kids become teenagers, they know a lot about Joseph's coat of many colors, but they don't understand the first thing about who God is. He's not real in their lives. I threw away that curriculum booklet, and taught they the attributes of God and the Trinity, one week at a time. I wasn't surprised when I found that they actually understood what was being taught – kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. I introduced the “big” words to them, like sovereignty, omniscience, omnipotence and immutability. These words were explained to them, but the great news was that they understood, and started asking the most interesting questions – sometimes related and sometimes not. And the coolest part was that I was able to pull in the disinterested kids. Now, I considered my class “controlled chaos” and I'm sure the elders cringed every time they walked by my classroom, but if that's what it takes to get them to interact and have a little fun learning about Jesus, then so be it. You ever played Bible checkers using the kids as board pieces? They had a blast answering questions to try to beat the other side. (and its really cool when the kids are disappointed when your not teaching them that week. I did have to endure the other teacher's wrath though, because they “weren't any fun!”) I'll be using a little bit of Bob's material for this blog entry.

So let's get started. What is omniscience? First, you're not going to find the word in the Bible, but that doesn't mean it isn't represented everywhere in Scripture. It is actually two words, 'omni' which means all or universal, and 'science' which one dictionary defines as a systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. Now there's a mouthful. Another dictionary says that its knowledge, especially knowledge gained through experience. It is the Latin word “to know”, so 'omniscience' means 'all knowledge' or 'universal in knowledge'.

As referring to God, omniscience means that God is infinite in knowledge, wisdom and understanding. There is nothing that God doesn't already know. As Bob put it in his “Train Up a Child” book, “nothing escapes His notice, neither past, present or future.” God knows all things that are actual or possible, and by that I mean this: God knows everything that has ever happened or will happen. He knows everything that you've ever done. Is that a little scary? It should be. It also means that He knows everything that will ever happen in the future. He knows what you'll decide to wear tomorrow, or say tomorrow. He knows everyone that you'll run into next week and the week after that, or next year, or 10 yrs from now. Nothing that will happen to you will surprise Him. Nothing that you will decide to do or not do will catch Him off guard. God knows right now what will happen to you tomorrow and what will happen to your children's children 50 yrs from now. God knows all actions, words and thoughts. His knowledge encompasses everything from the smallest detail to the largest, most complicated situation. There is nothing to small or to complicated for Him.

Just in case you're not really sure about this omniscience thing, let's look at a little Scripture:

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; You have laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. (Ps 139:1-6)

Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit. (Ps 147:5)

For a man’s ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all his paths. (Pr 5:21)

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good. (Pr 15:3)

His eyes are on the ways of men; he sees their every step. There is no dark place, no deep shadow, where evildoers can hide. (Job 34:22)

With whom did He consult and who gave Him understanding? And who taught Him in the path of justice and taught Him knowledge And informed Him of the way of understanding? (Isa 40:4)

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. (Heb 4:13)

These are just a few of the plethora of Scriptures that talk about God knowing everything. And as you can see, the Bible says that God knows everything about us. Since He already knows what everyone will decide to do in the future, nothing catches Him by surprise. Nothing. And since He already knows, it means it must already be planned, so that means that He always acts in the best way, since God is perfect and doesn't make mistakes (see my previous blog entry). Now I'm not going to say that we will always understand why He allows certain things to happen, but He has a master plan and we can never mess up that plan.

Please understand, I'm not talking about everybody's favorite subject. Predestination – I'm talking about omniscience. OK? So you can relax now.

That means that His wisdom is unsearchable and unquestionable. Again, we may not like what happens but He is God, the creator of the universe, the one that knows all things. Everything makes sense to Him; its not required to make sense to us.

Truthfully, His omniscience should be a source of comfort for believers as well as discomfort for unbelievers. When we really understand God's omniscience we can have confidence in His word to us, the Bible. If God is all knowing, then He must also be the source of all knowledge. Why you ask? Simple: there is nothing He doesn't already know, so no one can teach Him anything. If no one or no being can teach Him anything, then He must be the source of the knowledge in the first place. Remember that He is also the creator of every that is. So, if He's the source, shouldn't we seek Him for wisdom, knowledge and understanding? And if that is true, then why do we get sidetracked into seeking wisdom that comes from mankind?

I've been teaching a Bible study on Colossians for the last year (its a rich book) and one of the main reasons the Holy Spirit had Paul write this book was to refute the growing Gnostic religion that would come into full bloom in the 2nd century. Over and over in the first two chapters, Paul reminds the Colossian believers that they didn't need the secret knowledge being pedaled by the Gnostics – they already had everything they needed. And so do you! Jesus had delivered them from sin and death, what more did they need? What more do you need?


Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable
His judgments, and His paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the
Lord? Or who has been His counselor?" "Who has ever given to God, that God
should repay him?" For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To
Him be the glory for ever! Amen. (Rom 11:33-36)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Your God?

So here we are ending 2008, ready to start a new year, with a new president, an economy in recession and a nation that seems 'hell-bent' on continuing to throw away the very faith and values that created her and inspired a governmental structure unlike any other on the face of this planet. No, I'm not getting political or disregarding the 'too many to count' horrible things that have been done in the 'name of Christ' as so many like to point out. We all know these things to be true and are reminded of them continually by people whose motives most likely are suspect. So I'm not trying to put lemon juice on a paper cut, but I do think there's a hidden truth that seems to get overlooked by too many Christians feed up and tired of being brow-beaten with the actions of people that none of us knew, and wouldn't have been able to control had we been alive during their times, or present during their sinful actions. Trying to 'fix' that perception

Trolling for Truth But Finding None: The Gospel of Barnabas

I seem to have forgotten to post this from my Yahoo 360 blog. Posted Sept 13th .... I sometimes troll for Christians or interesting people on the Yahoo 360. Some times I run across an interesting person or something that peaks my interest. This happened as I was looking at a friend of one of my Yahoo 360 friends. Here is an excerpt from the blog of a friend of a friend, ... There is a Gospel known by the name the Gospel of Barnabas, which the church banned in 492 AD by the order of Pope Gelasius. It was confiscated everywhere. But there was still a copy of that Gospel in the library of Pope Sixtus V. Fortunately a certain Roman Monk called Framarino managed to bring it out. He had found the letters of Ireneus, where the came upon the name of the Gospel of Barnabas mentioned as a reference. His curiosity urged him to look for that gospel. When he became a close friend to Pope Sixtus V, he got that copy of the gospel and found in it that there would come a time when it would be claimed t

Jesus in Isa 48:16

This is a comment I posted on a Jehovah's Witness' Yahoo 360 blog some time back, in response to a posting he still currently has on his site questioning the Trinity. I was turned onto this site by a friend who asked me what I thought of his post. I felt and still feel that he asked some really good questions and I really, truly felt, and still do, that he needed to enter into a discussion about the questions he asked, since he obviously does not understand Christian teachings. Its doubtful that he understands his own JW teaching either since it didn't take me long to discover that his questions came directly from one of his JW pamphlets, “ Should You Believe in the Trinity? ”, but I was hoping that he really wanted to discuss the topics he raised. Sorry, that was just a little sarcastic because JW's usually don't discuss or debate anything, and he was certainly no exception since all he did was delete my comments. Most unfortunate, but not unexpected. W

Crusading for the Truth

And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. (Mark 13:13) There is for you an excellent example to follow in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people: 'We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever, unless ye belieive in Allah and Him alone. (Qur'an 60:4) Wow! Its actually been a month since my last blog. And the crazy thing is, I started immediately after I posted my last one. But then I got to looking at a really interesting Scripture related to the Trinity, and then a mild controversy by what I had shared about a particular verse. But, no matter – here we go! The Crusades are not one of the bright spots as you look at the history of the church, but that really has more about their outcomes rather than the actions of the participants. I'm not going to gloss over the things that were done

Relationship not religion ...

Wow! It has been a really long time since my last blog. I have chosen to back out of a business venture because I just don't have time anymore; actually, I never had the time in the first place. It was an interesting little adventure and I'm glad I did it, but with a full-time job and all of my responsibilities at church, it was completely unrealistic to get involved with. As my partner said, "What we do for the Lord is much more important than what we do in the business world." He is of course correct. Every church has a slogan, ours is, "Relationship not religion". But slogans are not always easy to live up to, so the question we should all be asking, which I am, is, "does that slogan match what we really are?" A lot of the time its what we really want to be, but not always what we really are. And with all of the transitions going on at my church and after reading a short book, I starting thinking about this and its relationship to my topic, the